Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chicken in Wine Sauce



***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine, submitted by Kathleen Valle of Philadelphia, PA***

Prep/Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 oz each)
1 egg
1 T. water
3/4 C. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
3/4 lbs. sliced fresh mushrooms
2/3 C. plum wine

Flatten chicken to 1/4-inch thickness. In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and water. In another shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with flour mixture.

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.

In the same skillet, saute mushrooms until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Serve with chicken.


I had a hard time getting the chicken to cook without there still being white flour on it, so I did add a little oil to the pan to soak it up on the chicken. Otherwise, this was a really straight-forward recipe. My husband even asked what was in it when he came home from buying the plum wine and I said, "plum wine and mushrooms---that's it!" The man at the liquor store warned that the plum wine is VERY sweet, but in the end this whole thing wasn't too sweet for my pallet. In fact, it was less sweet than the Cider Pork Chops.

Family Chef's Grade: B

1 comment:

  1. dearest sister! why did you not tell me that you started this blog? how many times have i been in the grocery store and called you asking you what i should prepare for me and my roommate as its my turn and my roommate says that cereal for dinner is no longer acceptable??? im excited! the only other thing that would help me out is posting your grocery list for the week to make it blonde proof!

    ReplyDelete