Monday, April 11, 2011

Southwest Zucchini Boats


***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine***

Prep/Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

4 medium zucchini
1 lb. ground beef
3/4 C salsa
1/4 C dry bread crumbs
1/4 C minced fresh cilantro
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 C (4 oz.) shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
Sour cream, optional

Cut zucchini in half length-wise; cut a thin slice from the bottom of each with a sharp knife to allow zucchini to sit flat. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4-inch shells
Place shells in an ungreased 3-qt. microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Remove from heat; stir in the salsa, bread crumbs, cilantro, chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon into zucchini shells.
Microwave, uncovered, on high for 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Microwave 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted and zucchini are tender. Serve with sour cream if desired.


Another microwave recipe! My oven thinks I've replaced it. :) Anyway, my husband and I love our veggies and we love zucchini so I knew right away that this was going to be a hit. My husband said that the hamburger mix kind of tasted like a pizza burger or something---he didn't realize there was salsa in there. That was my fault for using a mild salsa. I think this would be really tasty with more of a spicy kick, so I'll probably use hot salsa next time. (My husband also loves his spicy food!) My kids did not try this so the opinion was based strictly from the adults in the house. Can't wait to make this again!!

Family Chef's Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment