Thursday, June 23, 2011

Shrimp Pad Thai

***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine, submitted by Elise Ray of Shawnee, KS***

Prep/Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

4 oz. uncooked thick rice noodles
1/2 lb. uncooked small shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 tsp. canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 egg beaten
3 cups coleslaw mix
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1/3 C. rice vinegar
1/4 C. sugar
3 T. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 T. fish sauce or additional soy sauce
2 to 3 tsp. chili garlic sauce
2 T. chopped salted peanuts
Chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Cook noodles according to package directions. In a large non-stick skillet or wok, stir-fry shrimp in oil until shrimp turn pink; remove and set aside. Add onion and garlic to the pan. Make a well in the center of the onion mixture; add egg. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes or until egg is completely set. Add the coleslaw mix, green onions, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chili garlic sauce and peanuts; heat through. Return shrimp to the pan; heat through. Drain noodles; toss with shrimp mixture. Garnish with cilantro.


I prepared this recipe to the "T" and was so excited to try it. As it turned out, I felt like I cooked the rice noodles too long, since they sat in the hot water while I prepared the rest of the dish. Everyone who ate the pad thai assured me that the noodles were fine, but fine isn't what I wanted....I wanted spectacular!! That said, I would probably start the noodles in the middle of preparing the rest of the dish so they are not sitting and soaking the whole time. (They seemed a bit gooey when I drained them.) Other than the noodles, all the flavors blended together very well. I can't wait to try it again because I feel like this is one meal that will get better the more I make it. We'll see!!

Family Chef's Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment