Thursday, February 10, 2011

Zesty Hamburger Soup

***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine, submitted by Kelly Milan of Lake Jackson, TX***

Prep/Total Time: 30 minutes

1 lb. ground beef
2 cups sliced celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
4 cups hot water
2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 cups frozen corn
1-1/2 cups uncooked small shell pasta
4 jarred jalapeno slices
1 bottle (32-oz) V8 juice
2 cans (10-oz each) diced tomatoes with green chilies
1 to 2 T. sugar

In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the water, potatoes, corn, pasta and jalapeno.

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cook and stir until heated through.

Yield: 10 servings


I love soup so I'll try almost any soup/stew recipe. I also have a hard time saying that soup isn't good so I had to really leave this opinion up to my husband. He commented that it was good soup but not the best he's ever had. I also made a bit of a blunder while making it: I didn't realize that the four jalapeno slices would really be enough to make the soup "zesty". So....I added about a dozen slices. The soup was quite spicy but luckily my husband likes spicy stuff so it went over alright. I also added extra pasta for the kids' sake, which soaked up more broth than intended. All in all, I'm not too sure I'd make this again.

Family Chef's Grade: C

No comments:

Post a Comment