Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Broccoli Chicken Stir-Fry

***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine***

Prep/Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

1 medium spaghetti squash

SAUCE:
1 C. chicken broth
3 T. soy sauce
2 T. sugar
2 T. cornstarch
2 T. cider vinegar
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

STIR-FRY:
1 egg
1 T. soy sauce
1/2 C. cornstarch
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. cubes
1/4 C. canola oil
2 C. fresh broccoli florets
1 medium onion, chopped

Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-15 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine broth, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and red pepper flakes until smooth. Set aside.

In a shallow bowl, whisk egg and soy sauce. Place cornstarch in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture then coat with cornstarch. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken in oil in batches until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.

Stir-fry broccoli and onion for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir the sauce mixture and add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Add the chicken; heat through.

When the squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with stir-fry.


I really wish I would have remembered to take a picture of this dish because the instructions don't tell you how to really serve it: the stir-fry goes OVER the squash, so you use the squash instead of rice!! I love love love squash (almost any kind) so I just had to try this out. My husband loved it because he never wants to eat the rice anyways since he's not big on carbs. What a fantastic option that I never would have thought of myself!! The only tedious part of this recipe was coating the chicken in the cornstarch. Maybe because most of the recipes I try call for tossing the meat in a baggie with the cornstarch or maybe I was in a crabby mood---either way, the process of coating the chicken and putting it in the skillet about drove me crazy. Next time, I'm going the baggie route!

Family Chef's Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment