Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mixed Paella


***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine, submitted by Libby Walp of Chicago, IL***

Prep/Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

1-1/4 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves
2-1/4 C. chicken broth
1 C. uncooked long grain rice
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. pepper
1 lb. cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
3/4 C. frozen peas, thawed
1/2 C. sliced pimento stuffed olived

**Family Chef's substitutions: I used my favorite Basmati rice instead of the long grain, so I cooked it separately and added it to the skillet with only one cup chicken broth (instead of 2-1/4 cups). I also did not let it simmer as long.

In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, rice and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-18 minutes, or until rice is tender.

Stir in the shrimp, tomatoes, peas, olives and chicken. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.

I have never had paella before but my husband knew all about it since he took Spanish in high school. (I didn't even know that this was a Spanish dish!!) This meal really got some mixed reviews by my family. First off, the combination of flavors is a little too much. I love all the color that it offered:


However, my husband said that he could do without the olives in it. He also expected it to be spicy which it was not. I wasn't sure if I even like the turmeric flavor, so I wasn't sure I could give this dish a fair grade. After my kids chowed down on the chicken and shrimp (they wouldn't eat the rice), we decided to give this a B. Also note that for leftovers the next day, I put some cayenne pepper in it and made it spicy. It was WAY better that way, so at least I know what to add next time!

Family Chef's Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment