Thursday, April 14, 2011

Parsnip-Carrot Medley


***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine, submitted by Taryn Kuebelbeck of Plymouth, MN***

Prep/Total Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 9 servings

2 lbs. parsnips, peeled and sliced
1-1/2 lbs. carrots, peeled and sliced
3/4 C. chicken broth
3 T. butter
2 T. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
Dash cayenne pepper

In a Dutch oven, bring the parsnips, carrots and broth to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the remaining ingredients; heat through.

I happened across this recipe and also happened to have two lonely parsnips in my fridge that were just going to go to waste. I didn't make the 9 servings---I barely made half of that---but it was fun to be able to use something that was already in my fridge. This recipe was SO good and a little sweet, which is what my kids love when they eat veggies. HOWEVER, the parsnips didn't get quite as tender as the carrots did. Next time I make this, I will cook the parsnips by themselves for about 4 minutes before I add the carrots. That will give the parsnips extra time to cook without overcooking the carrots.

Family Chef's Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment