Monday, April 30, 2012

Crock Pot Steak Fajitas

I posted another recipe on how to make Beef Fajitas awhile ago, but wanted to make a different recipe with things I already had in my kitchen this time. (I'm currently out of salsa, which is a key ingredient in the previous recipe.)

Here's what I had already:
1-1/2 lbs round steak (could also have used flank steak or skirt steak)
sliced bell peppers (I have two red, one yellow and one orange)
sliced onion (always a must-have staple in my kitchen)
1 can diced tomatoes (I used "diced tomatoes with zesty green chilies")
1 T taco seasoning (I used my home-made but you could also use a packet of seasoning from the grocery store)
about 1 T of cornstarch to thicken the sauce up

I mixed the tomatoes, taco seasoning and cornstarch and poured over the raw meat in the crock pot. Other recipes I have seen call for you to add the peppers and onion at this time, too, however, when I have cooked it this way in the past, the peppers are complete mush by dinnertime. Instead, I added them 2 to 3 hours before we planned to eat. Cook the meat all day on low (or on high for about 3-1/2 hours). It will just fall apart when you take it out of the crock pot so there won't be too much of a need to cut it into strips.

 I don't need to add a "grade" to this one because it's a pretty basic meal. It's a hit with my family (my kids eat the meat by itself and not in a tortilla) and my husband and I load on all the fixings when we're making our own fajitas. Enjoy!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment