Friday, May 11, 2012

Dutch Apple Bread


 My family loves banana bread and other sweet breads like that, so I try to make them every so often and even freeze a loaf or two.  I happened to have a lot of apples recently so I looked up a recipe for an apple bread.  I found a great recipe on Allrecipes.com (which is always a good back-up site to check out if you're looking for a recipe of pretty much anything).  I've linked the actual recipe site to the title but here's what it entails:

Dutch Apple Bread

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup chopped, peeled apple
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • TOPPING:
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
Directions  
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in apple and nuts. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan. For topping, combine the first four ingredients; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees F for 55-60 minutes or until bread tests done. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack. 
I did not put in walnuts (because sometimes I have people over with allergies) and put about 1/4 cup more apples than it called for.  I actually doubled the recipe and put it into four smaller loaf-pans (as you can see from the picture) and I only had to bake them for 45 minutes.  I also chopped up the peeled apple with the Pampered Chef chopper and it was so easy!!  The crumbly topping really made this yummy, even though the end result was more cinnamon-y than apple-y (I was told by my taste-testers).  I'll definitely be making this a few more times in the fall when we go pick apples at the apple orchard.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment