Tuesday, July 17, 2012

White Bean Stew with Swiss Chard and Tomatoes

Well, after I said I wouldn't post, I typed this recipe up to email to my cousin and I figured that I should just post it because it's SO GOOD.  If you're looking for a low-calorie, VERY fresh tasting meal, this is just right!  It got an A+ from myself and my husband. 


2 lbs Swiss chard, large stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
¼ C extra-virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
1 (26 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (15 oz) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper

Add chard to a large pot of boiling water and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 8 minutes.  Cool slightly, then drain, squeezing out excess liquid.

In the same saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat, and cook garlic and crushed red pepper until garlic is golden, 1 minute.

Add tomatoes and bring to a boil.  (I didn’t drain them because the recipe didn’t say to.)  Add beans and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes.

Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until the flavors meld, 3 to 4 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Yeild: 4 servings

I found this recipe in People Magazine and I'm so glad I tried it.  Here's a little picture montage of when I made it for the first time:

Ready to begin...

 (Yes, I used navy beans the first time I made it just because that's what I happened to have on hand.)

Boiling the chard...


Looking tasty!!


The finished product...


And, it's a hit!  :)

ENJOY!!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment