Wednesday, April 27, 2011

German-Style Beef Roast


***This recipe was found in Taste of Home magazine, submitted by Lois Stanley of Myrtle Beach, SC***

1 boneless beef chuck roast (4 lbs), trimmed
1 tsp. pepper
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 bottle (12 oz) beer or non-alcoholic beer
1 C. ketchup
1/4 C. packed brown sugar
1/4 C. flour
1/4 C. cold water

Cut roast in half; sprinkle with pepper. Place onion and roast in a 5-quart slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the beer, ketchup and brown sugar; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.

Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer to a small saucepan. Bring liquid to a boil. In a small bowl, combine flour and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.


If there is one thing I am horrible at making, it's gravy. My mother has taught me several times and I just can't get it right. However, somehow, I got it right this time which is good because the meat is SO good with the gravy. I used a seasonal semi-dark Summit-brand beer and it was great. The gravy is sweet (but not too sweet) so it adds a flavor that my other roasts haven't had. TASTEY!!

Family Chef's Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment